Book: New Lakota Dictionary - 2nd Edition
"The NEW LAKOTA DICTIONARY is a great, great improvement over all the other dictionaries. It has words that are in common usage today and it lays out all the different ways a word can be used.. I write Lakota the way it is written in the Dictionary and find that it's very easy to read." ~Benjamin Black Bear, leading Lakota language expert from the Sicangu Oyate (Rosebud Reservation)
This 23,000-word Second Edition of the NLD provides a reliable, accurate and user-friendly reference text and serves as a central component of the revitalization movement. It is an indispensable resource for advanced language users as well as beginning students of the language and has many innovative features including:
- Over 40,000 example sentences, usage notes and collocations
- A modern layout that makes it easy to find words and their usage
- 3,160 more entries than the first edition of the NLD
- A standard orthography that adequately marks all meaningful sounds in the language
- All verb entries include conjugation paradigms
- Special symbols that mark the 3,000 most important words
- Descriptions of word-stems and stem nests
The volume forms the foundation for Lakota and Dakota languages and provides the basis upon which students, teachers and community members can move forward with confidence in restoring the living language.
Be the first to review this product.